What are microns and what difference do they make to shrink film?

A micron (also known as a micrometre) is a unit of measurement with the symbol ‘µm’. One micron = 0.001 mm (one thousandth of a millimetre). This is the unit of measurement used to gauge the density (thickness) of the film. Basically the thicker the shrink film is, the stronger and more resilient to UV damage it is.

What density film should I be buying?

We stock a range of film densities starting from 125µm to 300µm. Every application is different but here are some basic guidelines to choosing the correct film.

125µm – 150µm films: Short term storage of small items for up to 6 months. Also great for protecting goods during transit.

178µm films: Great for longer term storage and protection. Commonly used to ShrinkWrap boats and other items for transport and storage. Can be used to ShrinkWrap scaffolding/buildings in low wind zones – especially the walls of the structure (not recommended for roofs).

200 µm films: Our most popular density film. Typically used in the construction industry when ShrinkWrapping scaffolding/buildings, our 200µm film can be used for most applications. Can also be put to work in the toughest of storage applications or where high value items are at risk.

225µm – 250µm films: Used mainly in the construction industry for weather proofing buildings, these films are designed to serve in higher wind zones and in large scale ShrinkWrap projects.

300µm films: Speciality flame retardant film where risk of fire is high.
For further information and advice in choosing a film that is right for your application contact one of our team.

What’s the difference in tapes and their uses?

Tape is generally used to repair and join film. It can also be used to apply padding to structures, protect surfaces such as paint, gelcoat, glass etc and to fasten zipout windows and doors to your ShrinkWrap structure.

Because of the many different applications we stock a variety of tapes to suit most situations:
Polyethylene Tape (PET) – This specialised ShrinkWrapping tape is suitable for sealing welds, patching holes, applying strapping, applying zip out windows/doors and securing ShrinkWrap films. The aggressive adhesive sticks exceptionally well and the backing material is colour- matched to our films. We recommend applying this tape after the film has been shrunk – preferably while the ShrinkWrap is still warm to ensure an excellent bond is achieved. WARNING: POLYETHYLENE SHRINKWRAP TAPE IS TO BE APPLIED TO SHRINKWRAP ONLY. DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IF APPLIED TO OTHER SURFACES.

Cloth Reinforced Tape (CRPE) – The combination of its high-strength backing and aggressive natural rubber adhesive makes this tape suitable for sealing welds, patching holes and securing ShrinkWrap films. This tape comes off the roll easily and is hand tearable making it very user friendly. We recommend applying this tape prior to shrinking the film – this way when the film is heated a small amount of heat can be applied to the tape which will ensure an excellent bond. WARNING: CLOTH REINFORCED TAPE IS TO BE APPLIED TO SHRINKWRAP ONLY. DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IF APPLIED TO OTHER SURFACES.

PVC – An economical option for applying padding to structures such as scaffolding prior to installing ShrinkWrap film. Because it only has to hold padding in place temporarily until the ShrinkWrap is applied this low tack tape serves its purpose well. WARNING: PVC PADDING TAPE IS LOW TACK THEREFORE IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR APPLICATIONS WHICH REQUIRE STRONG ADHESION TO SHRINKWRAP. THIS TAPE WILL BURN IF EXPOSED TO OPEN FLAME.

Premium Clear Polyethylene Tape (CPET) - High grade polyethylene tape generally used to apply ShrinkWrap to sensitive surfaces ie. paint, gelcoat etc. This product offers clean removal properties and UV stability for up to 2 years.

Can I mix tapes?

Absolutely. We recommend utilising the full range of tapes – that means you’re using the best and the most cost effective solution 100% of the time.

How do I repair tear/melt holes in the cover?

For small holes a piece of PET tape is the best solution – stuck to the outside of the structure where possible. For larger holes simply cut a piece of shrink film that is slightly bigger than the hole you are trying to patch (at least 100mm overlap). Use PET or CRPE tape to fasten the patch over the hole, then use your heat gun to shrink the patch and weld it to the film behind where possible.

Why and how would I use strapping?

Polywoven strapping is exceptionally strong and can be used to anchor structures to the ground and/or prevent ShrinkWrap film from ‘ballooning’ off its structure. Other uses include forming internal corners in ShrinkWrap and adding extra supportive structure to roofs etc

What are the ShrinkWrap tube clips used for?

Our reusable tube clips are used to temporarily hold the ShrinkWrap film in place when ShrinkWrapping scaffolding. Simply pull the film around the scaffolding tube then push one of these clips on over the film and tube. Do this every meter or so and your film will be held securely in place while you do all your welds. Once job is complete these are then removed for the next job.

What colours are available and which should I be using?

We stock White, Blue, Clear and Black. Other colours are available on request.

White ShrinkWrap reflects heat more efficiently than other colours so is the colour of choice for work enclosures and scaffolding as it is cooler to work under, creates less condensation, and also provides shadow free lighting.

Clear ShrinkWrap works well if you want to show off the product that is under it such as boats – also useful in transport applications so carriers can see what they are dealing with which helps prevent damage. Not recommended for storage applications as it can let too much heat through, causing damage or excessive condensation build up. Commonly used for greenhouses.

Blue ShrinkWrap works well in colder climates as it absorbs heat and encourages snow to slide right off.

Black ShrinkWrap is mostly used in promotional applications.

How many rolls of ShrinkWrap will I need?

You first need to work out the face area of your structure, then allow an extra 20%.

Example: you measure the face area of your structure and it equals 286 m2.
To add 20% you must multiply your measurement by 1.20
= 286m2 x 1.20 = 343.2m2 required.

Our ShrinkWrap films come in widths from 2 meters to 15 meters and in lengths from 30 meters to 50 meters. Contact one of our team to discuss which size film will best fit your situation

How many rolls of tape per roll of ShrinkWrap will I need?

This will always vary depending on the job and the installer but on average we recommend for every 60m2 of film you will require about 1 roll of joining tape (PET or CRPE tape 96mm or wider) and 1 roll of padding tape (e.g. PVC tape)

What’s the difference between the Shrinkwrap Heat Tools?

We stock 3 different types of heat tools. It comes down to budget and preference with the Heat Tools. Give us a call and arrange a time to view/ try the guns if you are able. If that isn’t an option we can email you some further information.
We stock:
The ShrinkFast 998 (SF998)
The Express Hornet (2 burner & 3 burner)
The Ripack 3000

What ‘start up’ kit do I need?

Feel free to contact our team to discuss at any time.

General start up kit would comprise of:
Heat tool (these can be hired or purchased)
Strapping Tensioner
Tube Clips
Fire Extinguisher

The materials you will need include:
Polywoven strapping
Strapping Buckles

I need something ShrinkWrapped but I don’t want to do it myself?

Give us a call today! We supply our products to all the best ShrinkWrap installers in the country. If you’re looking for a quality installer in your region we can put you in contact with the most experienced people ensuring the best quality products.